Saturday, September 15, 2007

Why A Graphic Novel Changes Perception

The fact that V for Vendetta is a graphic novel changes everything about the story in my mind. I tried to imagine what the picture of V's mask would look like in my head if it had not been illustrated, and I think I would have a ended up with a very different mental picture. It's because of all the illustrations that it is so easy to know the character's emotions. With a picture, it takes one glance to know how a character is feeling. In writing, much more description would be needed to convey the same emotion. I think V for Vendetta could still be written as just a book, but I think a graphic novel format fits the quick pace and action of the story much better.
However, there are some negatives to this story being a graphic novel as well. When I read literature as entertainment, part of the enjoyment in reading comes from me forming my own mental image in my head of what is going on in the story. With the graphic novel format, it is much harder to formulate your own mental image because a drawn image is provided for you. The most you can do in your head is try and imagine what is going on between the slides of pictures and text.
After having seen the movie, if I had the choice between a graphic novel and a book format of V for Vendetta, I would still choose the graphic novel format. I haven't read a graphic novel before and I really like the way this type of format fits the story and illustrates the action.

No comments: