Sunday, September 16, 2007

What Should Have Been

This article left me debating to myself whether the author was more focused on praising Ken Griffey Jr. or ripping on Barry Bonds. Most assuredly he is an intense Griffey fan, and most assuredly he does not approve of Bonds’ steroid-tainted home run record, however it is debatable which point took a more active role in the article.

While most people would express their thoughts from a first-person point of view, this author chose to interview others with similar opinions and then report their feelings as quotes. Much of his article even consists of quotes from the fictional character he refers to as “the nation” or “America.” For instance, when lamenting Griffey’s bad luck, the author quotes, “’I mean, when a guy misses out on the Rookie of the Year because he slips and hurts his wrist in the shower… Where's the sense in that?’ America said.”

I loved this article because I, also, am a life-long Griffey fan. In fact, I even chose the jersey number of thirty in high school, because it was his number at the time. I have been a Reds fan my entire life and could compare with everything that the author wrote. I especially enjoyed the humor that the author expressed when he made up the following report. “Baseball commissioner Bud Selig, responding to overwhelming demand, has confirmed that an asterisk will be placed next to Griffey's name in the record books in order to indicate that, in a perfect world where dignity is always rewarded, cheaters never triumph, and people always get what they really deserve, Griffey would have hit one more home run than Barry Bonds' career total.” This quote rips on Bonds by indirectly calling him a cheater. It is especially funny because many have argued that there should be an asterisk next to Bonds’ name in the record books because of the steroids many believe him to have taken.

This leads me to my next point. Though I don’t have a vendetta against Barry Bonds as the author does, I still enjoyed several of the shots that he took at Bonds. For instance, “Frankly, you’re an inspiration—unlike some players this nation could name.” The author clearly has substituted “some players this nation could name” where he wanted to put “Barry Bonds.” Also, “In fact, that’s the point—we think you’re a man who is actually worthy of this record.” This implies that Bonds is not worthy of the record. Later on, in a hand-crafted, fictitious quote that the author claims to have been by Hank Aaron, it is written, “’I would be proud to have Ken Griffey Jr. break my home-run record," current record-holder and Hall of Fame legend Hank Aaron said upon being told of the nation's statement. "I would most certainly attend any game in which he had a chance of doing so. And I would come down from the stands and hug him fiercely after he crossed the plate and had been congratulated by his teammates. I really don't think I'd be able to help myself. Hell, I'll probably attend the game he's playing in when my record is broken in any case.’” This stroke of literary genius is particularly funny because there had been extreme controversy over whether Hank Aaron would attend the game in which Barry Bonds broke his record.

This article made me smile and on a nostalgic whim I imagined watching Griffey break the home run record in place of Barry Bonds. I agree with the author that this would have been far more satisfactory and much more deserved.

No comments: