Wednesday, September 5, 2007

MySpace

Expression is a very interesting thing to me, especially when it comes to self-expression. One thing I have never totally understood is why there are so many people completely tied up in worrying about whether they are able to express themselves enough. For example there is the typical punk girl that no one will ever understand and she needs to be different from everyone else just so she doesn’t put a damper on her self expression. Personally, I think that self expression is often used more to self promote more so than any kind of expression is used. I believe people get too concerned with projecting an image, than actually expressing themselves. MySpace is a perfect example of a feeble attempt at self expression. People use this form argument to paint a picture of them in the form of an URL to hide behind. MySpace’s are not a true testament of a person; it is not comparable to actually meeting someone in person. There are plenty of ways MySpace allows people to ‘express’ themselves as far as pictures, layouts, and music. In each category people are able to dress themselves up however they want so they catch the attention of whatever target audience they are trying to attract. Whether it’s the popular high school cheerleader or the misunderstood druggie, there is a way to portray that image on MySpace. The first random MySpace I found was a girl named Connie. Connie is 19 and attending college. Before the page even loads I begin to hear a distinct sound that does not exactly seem pleasant. In the background Pantera’s “Cemetary Gates” is playing. This immediately leads me to believe this person does not have the brightest outlook on life. Sure enough to confirm my first instinct her picture loads and there is not a single one of her smiling. She is trying to put across the image that the world has frowned upon her and this is her chance to really get back at everyone and show them how dark and evil she really is. Despite how pathetic this seems I firmly believe that is what she is trying to express through her MySpace. Her page is all black with red outlines and in the backdrop there is what appears to be a leopard cut in half. At that point I decided I had seen enough and got the general idea of what she was trying to say. If MySpace is spouse to be a forum for friends, I don’t understand would why someone would display something so uninviting. In my opinion Connie needs a hug. My conclusion is that MySpace is more of a LookatmeSpace. People are just trying to formulate their lives according to what they think they need to be like. If they wanted to really express themselves I think they should go out to the real world and save their eyes the strain of the computer screen.

No comments: