Sunday, September 30, 2007

Let's Blow Up The Moon!

After reading a few of Maddox’s recent rants I decided to look at some of his previous posts. The piece that I ended up reading had the title used above. This fascinated me because the moon has always been my favorite celestial object. He wrote very little on the subject (only139 words) and it lacked the serious tone that I enjoyed with some of his other work. The concept is so ridiculous that he did not even try for enough seriousness to make it controversial or even very funny (as I find straight faced humor to be) and it was just an off the wall sort of thing that was kind of funny. The whole thing appears to have been sparked by one stray thought while he was driving home at night very tired. The entire article seems to flow one thought at a time from the previous thought. He does not seem to dwell on anything as each new thought pops into his head. The actual concept of blowing up the moon is discussed and decided in the first few sentences and then he moves on to discuss the various contingencies in a manner akin to that of a person with the attention span of a humming bird that has had three cans of vault. Although it was funny I was in the end disappointed with his post about destroying the moon. I felt that such a topic deserved better than to consist mostly of a discussion on the need for a giant robot monkey head that would fill the role of the man in the moon by staring at you with glowing eyes while you drive (my reason for my statement as to the origins of this topic on his site). The fact that he cannot see that Monkor is a cooler name than Fojar is the final nail in the coffin as far as I am concerned.

No comments: