Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The Hours Movie

The Hours is a very unique kind of book. The actual events of the story take the backseat to the underlying emotions and thoughts of the characters. The content of the book serves to give a very descriptive picture of the events happening, beyond that the reader is left to come up with conclusions. These conclusions include tying together the three stories, analyzing the woman, and figuring out a common solution of all of their problems. I have never read a book quite like this where there is so much visual description yet so little focus on the actual physical world. For that reason I would assume this book would not be a very good choice for a movie since movies all are visual. However, if I had to picture a movie I believe there would be three separate stories of course all transitioning between the three without stopping to announce it. I feel like there would need to be different color schemes used as well. For instance Mrs. Dalloway would have a very pale backdrop while she was vibrant with color. Mrs. Brown would be bright with many white colors. Mrs. Woolf I might even consider putting in black and white if not I would use dark toned colors such as blue. The actresses would have to be spot on with their facial expression because there is so much to say without using dialogue in the movie. I do not think that the use of narrator or inner voice would be very effective either because that may create a sense of a story being told and not a story actually happening. I think to keep viewers interested I would use a lot of action to replace words such as instead of talking about what Mrs. Woolf saw as she drowned I would have rapid movements of water and flashes of the things around her across the screen. Music would also be imperative to making the movie interesting. Depressing music could accompany Mrs. Brown to the hotel and violent music when Mrs. Woolf is drowning. Finally, after giving a decent amount of thought to this movie I realize that it may be a very good book to movie choice after all.

No comments: