Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Class Expectations

After five minutes in English class I realized it was going to be much different than any other English class I have taken before. I kind of assumed in college there was going to be a curriculum that had been handed down from teacher to teacher since the 70's. To my pleasant surprise, I quickly found out that the class was not going to be run in an old fashioned way. It was refreshing to think that I would not have to go over the same study guide for a book that my parents did. As far as the actual class is concerned it seems the instructor is taking a more modern approach to the course material; it appeals more to young adult interests (at least in my opinion). To be totally honest I have never been a fan of leisure reading- or assigned reading in general. However, this semester appears to be an exception. I am actually enthused to dive head first into some of these books. For example, if Fight Club is half as good as the film, I will be satisfied for the whole semester. In my school life I have never really encountered an instructor with any sort of advanced degrees or qualifications, so I would conclude that I am in for a new experience whether I want it or not. Therefore, my expectations for the class have been elevated and set at a level which I believe I will embrace, understand, and retain the information and knowledge I intend on gaining from this class.

No comments: