Friday, September 14, 2007

V For Vendetta: GRAPHIC NOVEL EXTRORDINARE!!!!!

Graphic novels are very unique and interesting genres of literature. V for Vendetta is the first of these novels I have read and I can honestly say that it has been an exceptionally unusual experience. While reading the novel I often find it hard to follow the characters and sometimes the pictures were a distraction for me. However, I do like the fact that I can read through it faster and all the tedious wordy details that authors love to put in novels are replaced by pictures. Extensive amounts of the dialogue are not dedicated to informing the reader on the characters outside emotions, this is why the pictures are so important. Graphic novels have a lot in common with movies. In fact, many people who may not like to read, but enjoy movies would probably find interest in a graphic novel. They are more visual and in my opinion this is what draws the reader into the characters world. Like movies, these novels put a huge emphasis on the visuals. It is not necessary to focuson the dialogue to give you a description of the characters world. Instead, you are drawn right into it through the images. For me, the images kept me motivated to continue reading. I enjoyed reading the dialogue and analyzing how the artist interpreted it through the images. If the novel were not graphic I would have been bored within reading the first page. Although I am not done reading my first graphic novel so far it has been a fairly enjoyable experience and I am hoping to read more of them!

No comments: