Monday, September 3, 2007

"The Hours" The Movie

If I were to be offered the opportunity to make a movie version of The Hours, I would probably decline it. I am not nearly talented enough to accomplish an undertaking of such magnitude. If I were forced, however, I would probably do something like the following.
First off, I would look to accomplish the same stream-of-consciousness style that the book is written in. The way I would do this is to use as few cut scenes as possible, the movie would look as continuous and flowing as a person’s life. The only time a scene would cut out would be when transitioning between the three main characters. The camera would move as if shooting from a first-person point of view, with the audience being the observer.
The most difficult part of the book to synthesize into a movie would be the thoughts of the characters, often expressed as a third person dialogue. I think that I would communicate this aspect by a careful choice of background details, zooming, panning, and lighting. As many thoughts as possible would be conveyed nonverbally.
Needless to say the choice of actors and actresses would be paramount to properly convey the thoughts and emotions of the characters. A strict coordination of posture, facial expression, and articulation would be necessary to pull off the necessary nonverbal communication.
Another difficult aspect of the book to reproduce on film would be the writing itself. Much of the author’s diction and sentence structure is devoted to conjuring emotions within the reader. This would most likely be achieved by a combination of the visual and aural senses. The background music employed in each scene would set the environment of the scene and add to the overall dramatic effect of the piece.
In short the making of The Hours into a movie would be far too difficult for me to undertake and therefore I have very low expectations of the movie. Most works of literature with a movie analogue leave much to be expected and it is almost impossible to satiate an entire body of readers.

No comments: