Friday, September 7, 2007

Movies vs Novels

I'm going to be honest. When I read The Hours, I didn't really enjoy it or find it very enthralling. I'm sorry to say that I feel the same way about the movie. I'm not trying to say that the book or the movie is bad, they just don't appeal to me. However, if I had to choose which I liked better, I would go with the movie adaptation.
I think one of the main reasons I like the movie better then the book was that the movie opted to get rid of the character Mary Krull and Clarissa's daughter Julia seemed more normal. In the book, Mary Krull has a very big impact on Julia's character. Mary was a lesbian activist and a big feminist. Her friendship with Julia moved Julia to shave her head and wear combat boots to act out as a feminist as well. Basically, I didn't like Ms. Krull as a character, because of her influence on Julia and because she was so haughty and judgmental. Because Mary wasn't in the movie, Julia seemed much more normal. Physically, Julia's character in the movie was obviously different from the book's depiction. Julia had a full head of hair and dressed like a typical twenty something. Another change in the movie was the fact that Julia and Clarissa seemed to have a closer relationship then they did in the book. In the movie, they are seen laying down in the bed and bonding, something they had great difficulty doing in the book.
Although I personally didn't enjoy the book or the movie too much, I still think the book and the movie were definitely well made. The movie captured the essence of the book and the slight changes they did make in the movie such as removing Ms. Krull were the reasons I preferred the movie to the book.

No comments: