Friday, September 14, 2007

V for Vendetta Controversy

With the United States government the way it is today, it is no wonder why V for Vendetta causes so much controversy throughout the country. However, because the book was published in 1988, while the movie came out in 2005, it seems to me that the movie would cause more discussion rather than the book. This is because the movie is more recent, and especially since September 11, 2001, the United States has been very sensitive to anything having to do with terrorism.

I have actually not seen the movie yet, but if the idea of terrorism is depicted as strongly as it is in the book, then I can clearly see why some Americans may not be comfortable with it. Terrorism is a very, VERY touchy subject these days, and deciding to produce a movie that is based on the ideas of fascism and terrorism is a very bold step, in my opinion.

While I have heard many wonderful things about the movie, I can’t help but think that some people may not like all that they see. The main topic of the story is that the government in England wants to become fascist, and even though it does take place in London, rather than the United States, it still hits close to home. The apparent protagonist, “V,” is the terrorist. This is odd…the “bad guy,” the one who is killing people and blowing up buildings, is really made out to be the “good guy.” It makes the reader, or viewer, wonder…”Are they saying in this case, terrorism isn’t such a bad thing?”

And until I finish reading the book, I’m not exactly sure how I personally would answer that question.

No comments: