Sunday, August 26, 2007

Why isn't everyone this irreverent and unique in real life?

To start off, I've never used myspace before. In fact I only used the internet as a means of communication through email until very recently(no AIM, facebook, ect.) and only if I couldn't contact someone directly first. So, I picked a random name and searched it and clicked on the first profile I saw. The profile was set so that I couldn't look at it, so I searched through this particular person's 3000 friends (3000, seriously, I doubt I could recognize 3000 people if I saw them on the street, much less call them my friend) and picked until I found a profile I could look at. The first one I found had little personalizations to it. The background was blank so I started reading into the interests of this person and they could be described as the most random list of thought possible. I skipped to someone else, hoping to find something I could more easily categorize and I'm getting nothing so my search has ended with Josh, 23, from Washington D.C.
The background is a checker pattern with a light and dark blue, which, while not immensely creative or edgy in any way, helps the page stand out from normal black and white. His interests are no shocker from my limited experience; a list completely unrelated items that seem to establish each users' individualism. The blurb is a quirky joke that I would have smiled at had I been 12. Could the motivation behind some of these things be an attempt at retaining some whimsical mental youth. Many of the posts are very childish in nature.
The picture for Josh is a head shot of himself in a black hooded sweatshirt. I think this picture, sets an early standard for how a person wants to appear in this medium considering it is the first thing you will see. I think that the sweatshirt with the hood up establishes that Josh views himself to be a part of a counter-culture, different from the norm.
I feel that through this page I don't know anything about this person. The only assumption I can make is that Josh is very adamant about not being cast into a particular social group, thus the reason for so many different and odd interests.

No comments: