Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Experience, Expectations

I’m used to the looks people give me when I describe myself as a Creative Writing major. There’s usually an eyebrow raise accompanied by the sort of facial expression that says, “And you expect to be paid for that?” But I’ve realized that, unless I talk with a fellow writer, it’s impossible to describe the love affair I have with words. Since the day I learned the alphabet I have saturated myself with words, either in devouring anything readable or attempting my own works. This love of sentences is my unbreakable addiction. Cut me; I bleed sesquipedalianism.
My expectation for English 108 is a stimulating and enjoyable class in which we will push past particulars like direct objects or comma placement to explore the actual core of these works. Rather than scouring texts for grammatical errors, I hope to pry them open to find hidden themes and meanings. I’m thoroughly looking forward to reading V for Vendetta; I read Art Spiegelman’s Maus last year and am amazed by a graphic novel’s ability to blend visual details with creative diction and syntax.
In addition, I hope to expand my writing skills. Since my amateur, third grade stories of Captain Bubblegum I’ve continued to move forward, and in a college-level class, I expect to see a great difference in my ability to convey my ideas in both formal and informal writing. At this point, there is not even the smallest portion of the class I am dreading – English has always stayed my favorite class, and I see no reason why this semester should differ.

No comments: