Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Reflections of Past English Experiences

Looking back, English has always been my favorite subject (perhaps this is why I’m going into English Education). But going to English class wasn’t even “school” for me. I loved going just to read and write, and to sit with my peers to hear their opinion on whatever we were reading.

Even when I was in middle school, I would spend most of my free time making up my own song lyrics or planning out my first novel. Every night I would reflect on the day’s events, writing page after page in my journal. I was never as much of a reader as I was a writer. Don’t get me wrong…I love to read. However I’m just not the type of person who can walk into a library, pick a book off the shelf, and start reading. But put a book in front of me and tell me it’s good, and I’ll read it for hours until I’m finally done.

By the time I was in high school, I had started writing my own poetry, and English class was always the course that I looked forward to the most. I loved how teenagers could pick out so many different meanings in the same piece of work. I was amazed by the way we could walk into a 6th hour English class, sit down, and spend the entire hour talking about the 20 pages we had to read for homework the night before. Even so, it wasn’t until April of my senior year that I finally decided teaching a high school English course was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

The second I walked into English 108 two days ago, I immediately loved the atmosphere. I also look forward to the books we are going to read, and the discussions that we will have from each night’s reading. This has quickly become my favorite college course, and I look forward to a great semester!

No comments: