Sunday, August 26, 2007

36 going on 16

I chose the profile of a 36 year old man from Bloomington Indiana. The first thing visible on his page is “MySpace is dumb”. I wondered why, would he spend time creating something he didn’t care about. As I looked through his page I realized he really did care about the appearance of his page and probably just didn’t want people to think he did. Generally speaking, when I think of myspace.com the first thing that pops into my mind is not a 36 year old man. This man has chosen a profile picture of himself on the beach topless, wearing sunglasses and sticking his tongue out. He appears to me to be in his 20’s. Also even though he says that MySpace is “dumb” he probably checks it often because it just so happens, he checked it yesterday. He has slide shows with pictures, mostly of himself, in just underwear or a swimsuit, in between images of artwork. I think this man is the artist of the paintings in the slideshow. He also has pictures of his tattoos, and pictures of celebrities he admires and would like to meet.
This man seems very outgoing, life of the party type guy. On the other hand he is 36 years old and I am not sure I would take him very seriously if I simply looked him up on MySpace for a character reference. He seems to be stuck in his past, a college frat boy who never stopped partying. His teenage years are long gone but his photos show no seriousness, nothing mature, nothing “adult”. His “social resume” seems to appeal to a younger crowd.

No comments: