Friday, August 24, 2007

"Mr. N's" Myspace

When I logged into Myspace to begin this blog, I immediately saw a section labeled "Cool New People." I decided that this would be the easiest way to select somebody at random who had a somewhat interesting Myspace site. There were three people to choose from: a girl named Emi, an older man named "Mr. N", and a woman whose name was a question mark. The older man grabbed my attention fairly quickly. After all, Myspace has a relatively young user base and I had rarely seen somebody this old with a profile. I clicked on his Myspace page and the first thing that I noticed was his background, a pattern of guitars. This detail immediately lead me to believe that this man had a passion for music. The next detail I noticed was his display quote. It said, "japanese,male,49years,3kids,separated with my wife for 1year". This man made a conscientious effort to get very basic but important details about himself out at the beginning of his profile such as his race, sex, age, relationship status, and parental status. These details are targeted towards his desired audience, people he wants to communicate with on Myspace. All these basic details appear almost like a classified ad. Scrolling further down his page, I noticed people that he is friends with. His top three friends are Eric Clapton, James Taylor, and the Eagles. While this further affirms his like for guitar music, it also makes me think that this man may not have very many close friends. Most Myspace users have their friends listed in an order that reflects how close they are with those people, so I think this man isn't close enough with anyone to put them in his top friend spots. The next thing I read on this man's page was his details column. The first detail, his "swinger" status, I didn't want to know. As soon as I read that detail, "Mr. N" became a creepy internet stalker who's target audience was younger women. Now granted, this thought had crossed my mind when I saw how old he was at first, but I thought I would give him the benefit of the doubt. I then notice that he is both a drinker and a smoker, that he likes "drinking with beautiful ladies", and that there are comments on his page from much younger women. These details strengthen my opinion that this man's target audience is younger women. Other then the things I have already listed, there is not much more content on "Mr. N's" page. His page setup is pretty simple, he has no music, and there is nothing written in his "about me" section. To sum things up, "Mr. N" is just a lonely 49 year old man who is trying to communicate with younger women on the internet.

No comments: