Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The English Experience

Looking back through the years I can honestly say that English has always been one of my stronger subjects. Reminiscing, I begin to wonder where my English experience began. Like most children, my first taste of English came from my parents. Their words shaped my first, probably garbled sounds. From there the English language became more complex, more beautiful, more lucid to my ears. In preschool the concept of reading a book was introduced to me. This was when I realized that English could do much more than allow me to communicate. I began to realize that it could also open the doors to a wonderful world of color, sound, imagination, and understanding. The next step of my English Experience was in elementary school. These were the years that I realized the intricate complexities of the English language. Subject, verb, complex conjugates and clauses were words that rang out daily in my elementary school grammar classes. Up to that point I did not realize how much intricate detail was involved in shaping the language. However, I now realize that all the complex detail in the language is what makes it flow smoothly and beautifully. High school, the years I learned of Homer, Shakespeare and Whitman, was latest leg of my journey. During this time I cultivated my writing ability. After composing paper after paper I found a writing style of my own. From there I was able to use the English language to effectively express myself in ways I never thought possible.
In my college English course I am hoping to gain a deeper understanding of how books and their corresponding movies are related. I am looking forward to reading the novels and discussing them in class. I am also hoping to become more knowledgeable in the concept of rhetoric. Furthermore, I am hoping that I will not only gain further knowledge of the English language but that I will also be able to use what I’ve learned throughout my college career.

No comments: