Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Experience vs Expectation

Up untill about my senior year English has just been an easy but fairly boring calss for me. We read alot of books, did alot of grammer, and had endless vocab tests, o and poetry too. The grammer was repetitive and the vocab was annoying. Also almost all the books were, at least to me, dull, boring, and depressing. It seemed good liturature was all about the hanging and burning of women, "The Crimson Letter" i think, the tragic death of two lovers, "romeo and Juliet", and the killing of men who try to help women out, "The Great Gatsby". Personally i read fantasy and science fiction and like a book with a happy ending.

Then in my senior year we finaly got to the good stuff. We read "Beowulf" much more exciting if still depressing at the end and my favorite "The Canterbury Tales". It was the Tales that got my interest more than anything else they were funny, taught a lesson, and must have been extreamely hard to write. The Tales for anyone who doesnt know are all in rhyme and to write an entire book in rhyme is no small feat even compared to the monsterous task of writing a book in the first place. They inspired me and made english fun so much to that i wrote my own tale for the book all and rhyme and won a award from the national poet's society.

My expectations and reason for taking advanced english was because i hope i would get the better books and more fun papers to write. Its always been pretty easy but only if i like what i'm writing about. My senior year was the honors english and thats where it was good an i hope to keep it up now. so far 2 out the books look to be definate hits and the other two look pretty interesting. Anyway thats about all i have to say i hope its 250 words see you guys in class.

No comments: