Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Rob Carney's Perception of English 108

With all the difficult math and science classes I signed up to take this year, I was a little apprehensive about taking English 108. Although I have always excelled in English classes throughout my schooling, a goal of mine is to have a 4.0 GPA (I want to get into med school). I didn't need a harder English class deterring me from that. However, after seeing our reading list, I couldn't be happier that I opted for the more challenging English. Two of my favorite movies, "Fight Club" and "V for Vendetta", are represented in the required reading. This is not to say that "Brokeback Mountain" and "The Hours" don't peak my interest, they both look interesting as well. I am just excited to begin class discussion, and hopefully by tomorrow. It will be hard not to have great discussion with all of the controversy presented within these selections.

To conclude, I'd just like to reiterate how glad I am that I decided to take this accelerated English course. Instead of this class being that "stupid English class" that is ruining my GPA, it could actually turn out to be the class I enjoy going to the most. This class will be my entertaining break from all of the number crunching required in my other classes. And from past experience, when I study something that I enjoy, it becomes much easier for me to excel and achieve my desired grade. In an ironic twist of events, the class I was supposed to dread will be my escape.

No comments: