Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Expectations

The word “expect”, according to the Meriam-Webster online dictionary, means “to look forward”. So, what am I looking forward to in ENGL 108?

Well, I can hardly wait to read and watch V for Vendetta. As an avid bibliophile, I can hardly wait to read all the books, actually, but that one more than the rest. I’ve been a fan of Alan Moore’s work for years, and I’m sure I won’t be disappointed now. It will be very interesting to see which version of the work – film or print – is better written. How did the transition to a movie affect the story? Will it still read like an Alan Moore, or will it resemble the movie director’s style?

More broadly, I expect to improve my writing skills a great deal with the large amount of practice I will no doubt be receiving in this course. I can write well – as can all of us, or we would not be in this course – but whenever I read a book by one of the master authors, I am always struck by how much more skilled they are than I. I constantly come up with ideas for novels, and just throw them away when I compare them to the work of others. Perhaps I can improve myself enough to actually finish one of them.

This course sounds like a great deal of work – no doubt there will be times when I regret having signed up for the advanced class, times when I wish I had taken the easier route – but I have no doubt whatsoever that it will be more than worth it in the end. I’m looking forward to Wednesday.

No comments: