Sunday, August 26, 2007

"Crown Holder" and MySpace

First of all I would like to say that I’m not as up to date with technology as most and I don’t have a facebook or myspace account. Furthermore this is my first time perusing through this site. It was interesting to say the least and I didn’t have to look far for any surprising or attention-grabbing accounts. They seemed to be everywhere.
One of the first accounts I came across was titled “Crown Holder” and showed a picture of an 18 year old from Louisiana. It was quite obvious that “Crown Holder” had an urban style. The color scheme of the entire page was mostly black and pink, which gave it a feminine yet edgy look. The background consisted of pink cheetah print and “Easy” by Paula DeAnda was playing, both of which add to the urban image she is portraying. I would also say she is very confident in who she is and her nationality. The majority (if not all) of the pictures consisted of famous Africans like Nelson Mandela and African Americans like Alicia Keys, Outkast, and Martin Luther King Jr. You can also tell she is confident by her photograph. I’ve noticed many of the photographs of the women on myspace consist of provocative clothing or posing. “Crown Holder” however decided to use a relatively average picture. This tells me that she is confident in herself naturally and does not need to change how she looks so others will notice her. However it seems her confidence may be a tad overabundant. The quote “let them eat cake” was next to her page title, but I suppose she could just be a really big fan of Marie Antoinette. The overall themes of the page were young, lively, and bold.
After looking through the site I can see why sites like myspace and facebook have become so popular. People like to express who they are (or at least who they say they are) to other people, but the internet gives us a false sense of security. People are willing to say and do things they wouldn’t normally do offline. All in all I don’t think I will be getting an account any time soon.

No comments: