Saturday, October 6, 2007

Crossroads

Every time I have a few minutes to just stop and think, my mind begins to wander about my life as a whole and all of the people in it. After spending about a month and a half in college, my self-perspective as well as my perception of life has changed drastically. It still amazes me that nearly four months ago, I was still a high school Senior, making plans for our outstanding pranks and counting down the days until graduation. I went from being a small town girl who knows everybody’s name and any other useless information about all of her classmates to a college freshman who spends every minute of every day wearing a sign saying “I have no idea what’s going on.”
Since I have moved out of my house, everything in my life seems drastically different. Even visiting my family and my hometown seems to have somehow changed. I actually even created a CD with every country song I could think of and listened to it the entire way home last weekend. Suddenly, the small town I had waited for so long to leave has become something I am extremely proud of now. Don’t get me wrong, I do love college and having the opportunity to experience so many things that I would not be able to otherwise, but going home is one of the best feelings in the world.
I have begun to appreciate the simple things I had at home a lot more now that I have realized what life is like on my own. For instance, at home, I never had to buy my own milk or shampoo, or pay for my laundry to be done, and now I am grateful to my parents for supplying those things for me up until now. In addition, I have a greater appreciation for my family as a whole, and I make it a point to see every one of them on the weekends when I am home. I would even go so far as to say that I would rather be with my family than my high school friends when I am in my hometown. All in all, I feel as if college has changed me into a more well-rounded individual, and it has caused me to broaden my horizons while appreciating my background at the same time.

No comments: