Saturday, October 27, 2007

Halloween: The Sluttiest Day of the Year.

When I think of Halloween, I think of trick or treating. Going out and taking candy from strangers while dressed up in fantastic costumes just seems wholesome to me. There was no competition for best costume, because everyone got the same amount of candy from every house. Now, however, my view of Halloween is being challenged by the insidious forces of lust and envy.

It seems to me that Halloween for adults is more of an excuse to get drunk in ridiculous costumes, rather than any true holiday. Which is fine, I guess, but it seems like something you could do any day of the year. And instead of the nice, subdued costumes of youth, like princesses and ballerinas, women of my age now wear things of a much more...lets say "nakedesq" appeal.

Everywhere I look on Halloween, I see slutty cheerleaders, naughty nurses, and nearly-nude bunnies. That is to say, no different from my normal, day-to-day interactions, except these women aren't figments of my depraved imagination. No, these are the costume's of today's modern women. But why has this...lets say "sexification" of women's costumes occurred? Well, here's what I think.

It seems like a fair assumption that most women would like to be confident. In the same way that making masculine poses in the mirror builds confidence in men, being the object of desire builds confidence in women. Being the center of attention is always great, or so I've heard. Also, women would like to do this without giving themselves the reputation that they want it, I.E. being a slut. So an environment where they can dress up as say, Slutty Cinderella, one day a year is ideal. After all, they're not damaging their own reputation, they're just acting like Slutty Cinderella. And we all know how slutty Slutty Cinderella is. That whore.

As to the fact that guys DON'T need this reassurance, let me let you in on a little secret: guys really love costumes. A good costume can skyrocket a guy's confidence to superhuman levels, to the point where actual physical appearance doesn't really matter that much anymore. They don't need to show off their ripped abs if they can be an awesome space pirate from the future. If a costume lacks any noticeable pelvic bulges, it's perfectly fine, because for tonight he's CAPTAIN PLANET, and no man nor woman nor beast can shake him.

This may be the testosterone talking, but I do love me some dressing up and prancing around. Just making people think you're someone else for a night is fantastic, especially if that person you're dressing up as is way cooler than you'll ever be on your best day. So, to answer the question I think that men and women both have the same goal on Halloween, just go about it in different ways. Dressing up as a faceless, shapeless ghost probably wouldn't cut it for a woman, and being Slutty Princess Jasmine for a night wouldn't do much for me. Well, maybe.

No comments: