Sunday, October 14, 2007

Be a Man...

Masculine: having qualities traditionally ascribed to men, as strength and boldness. Even though this definition of masculinity is very vague and politically correct, there are many qualities of masculinity that are very specific and vary according to age, location, culture, and religion. For instance, when I was growing up in rural Indiana, my older brother and I were treated and perceived very differently. My parents always put “manly” toys in front of him, such as tractors and Hot Wheels cars, while they always gave me Barbie dolls and stuffed animals. Even though my parents would have accepted both of us no matter what we did, they tried to raise us the best they could according to how they were raised. As he and I grew up, my brother was always expected to help Dad in the fields, driving combines and fixing tractors, while I was never allowed to touch the inside of a tractor without Dad right beside me. That was just something boys were supposed to learn and girls weren’t in my family, and everyone simply accepted that.

In addition to farming, there were always many activities that were considered masculine where I grew up, such as fishing, hunting, camping, riding four-wheelers, playing football or wrestling, and anything mischievous, such as corning or cow tipping. In other locations, such as large cities, I’m sure not all men go cow tipping every weekend, but there are a set of specific activities that are considered “normal” for men to do, such as playing poker or videogames, or any type of sports.

Masculinity is not only defined by hobbies or activities. Clothing is also a way to define masculinity, in that men are “supposed” to wear baggy clothing in colors excluding pink and purple, since those colors are considered feminine. In addition, language can be a form of masculinity, in which men aren’t “supposed” to talk about makeup or manicures or the latest edition of Cosmo. Furthermore, men are supposed to be built bigger than women, which makes them seem more superior and masculine.

Even though these qualities can vary for different locations or cultures, every society has certain rules that men must follow in order to be considered masculine. Therefore, society has the ability to define masculinity in a way that goes beyond Webster’s definition.

No comments: