Saturday, October 27, 2007

Halloween

Ok, right now I am wearing my Halloween costume, standing in my dorm room with my roommate, ready to go to a party. Why is it that I have spent so much time finding the perfect outfit when I’m only going to be wearing it for at the most 12 hours? Why are there at least 3 Halloween stores in Lafayette alone? Why do girls always dress as sluts and guys dress like idiots?

All of it is for attention. Halloween is the one day of the year where you're supposed to look outrageous. It's an excuse to look outrageous, without anyone giving you crap for it. The fact is, the less clothes girls wear, the more attention they get. On Halloween, girls can get away with wearing less because it is "part of their costume." Everyone wants to be the center of attention on Halloween. Everyone wants to have the best, funniest, hottest costume. It is a day where you get to pretend you’re someone you're not.

I’ve always loved dressing up. Every time I baby-sit we play dress up. Not because they want to, because I want to. Dressing up lets you become another person. You don’t have to be the same person you are everyday. On Halloween, girls can be playboy bunnies, and no one thinks twice. On Halloween, you’re supposed to be an extreme, and going slutty is one of the easiest ways to do that.

Boys are all about the extreme too, they just achieve it in a different way. Guys can’t simply dress slutty, cause guys aren’t supposed to care what they look like. They don’t want to look like they tried too hard. Guys tend to go funny or scary, not “hot.”

Halloween is all about the escape, a chance to be someone you’re not. I can’t help but love it.

No comments: