Sunday, October 28, 2007

I Love Halloween

Because I am an inherently stupid person, I thought this blog was due tonight by ten instead of the clearly written Saturday night I have on my notes from class on Friday. However, because I thought it was due tonight I did get an extra night of the collegiate Halloween experience. In our society, the last thing a girl wants to be perceived as is a slut, so whenever a freebie like Halloween comes around it seems that as many girls as possible take advantage of the fact that they can dress up as a promiscuous (insert anything here really). I think this trend basically stems from the unequal standards that we hold for men and women. A man is glorified for going out and having sexual conquests while a woman would be more likely typified as a "slut" or "whore". On Halloween, everybody is in a costume and essentially can be or act like somebody or something else for an entire night. This opportunity allows girls to be on equal footing with the guys for one day out of the year.
One thing I don't understand is why people seem to be so against the sexuality that surrounds Halloween. Growing up, I went trick or treating every year until I was 15. Not once did I have some sexualized ideal or see anything remotely sexual about Halloween walking around my neighborhood. Today, I even saw sororities and fraternities open their doors for young trick or treaters in an appropriate setting. The barrier between the openly sexual Halloween and the nostalgic childhood Halloween is stable, and parents with younger kids needn't worry about taking their kids out on Halloween.
All I know is that I love that Halloween is sexualized. I like hot, scantily clad girls and there shouldn't be anything wrong with that. The sexuality of Halloween doesn't hurt anybody so I am going to continue to go out and celebrate it. Oh yeah, the candy is nice too.

No comments: