Saturday, November 3, 2007

Translation: Fight Club Rules.

Movie, Book, whatever, just experience Fight Club. The movie parallels the book very well in overall nature, and even a lot of the actual dialog, even if some of this is transposed to different characters and scenes. I love both of them. I originally saw the movie before I ever even knew of the book, learning of its existence a year later, but I absolutely loved the film. Fight Club blew me away like no other movie had before. The twist alone was enough to make me turn to my friend and say "That was the best movie ever."

Last year I read the book and I was thrilled with it. I realized that the dry and monotonous humor of the narrator wasn't just a creation of Edward Norton's, but could really be perceived from Palahniuk's writing. The characters are portrayed SO WELL in the film, that you can't help but give props to David Fincher and Jim Uhls for their translation of Palahniuk's words. The way in which the novel is narrated is such a unique and powerful aspect of Fight Club that the film would simply not be the same if it didn't make the leap to theaters. I am very grateful that it did.

The only big difference between the film and the book is the ending, (which I don't want to give away,) but even this change doesn't dramatically impact the message of Fight Club, which is what is most important.

No comments: