Sunday, November 11, 2007

Acts of Feminine Social Deviance

Since this assignment was announced, I've been trying to think of what these acts might be, and, similarly to sexual deviance at Halloween, I have no idea how to approach this, as I have no experience with it whatsoever. I can't say I have a lot of female friends, and that would probably be the most common outlet in which to witness this kind of behavior. Another problem I have is the concept deviance in our current society. I don't think deviance can be judged in black and white like it used to be. There are now many different lifestyles that are accepted in our culture, just look at all of the different social groups of a typical high school. My point is social deviance from one group could be typical in another, and who can say which is correct and which is deviant? Though this is not gender specific to femininity, it can explain why social groups are segregated as much as they currently are. Let's say we accept the concept of deviance. Are there things that span the social gaps? An example of this would be love. Is the idea of love the same for men and women? For different social groups? I can't really answer these questions, and I don't see how any one person really could without imposing their own personal beliefs and biases.

No comments: