Saturday, November 3, 2007

Fight Club's Adaptation from Book to Film

There's a problem with watching a movie before reading the book it was based upon. You can't help but read the book and then picture the characters as they were in the movie. This is exactly the case for me with Fight Club. Before reading this book in class, I had seen the movie probably 7 or 8 times because it was a favorite of mine and many close friends. Because of this, while I read Fight Club I couldn't help but picture Ed Norton and Brad Pitt. This is a huge problem because the book and the movie are very similar. Much of the dialog in the movie is even directly taken from the book. Even in the part of the book where the narrator meets Tyler Durden on a beach, a scene completely different from the movie, Edward Norton and Brad Pitt were acting the narrator and Tyler out for me.
To try and get around this problem, I tried to objectively focus on Palahniuk's writing style and whether or not it matched Norton and Pitt's acting. Palahniuk's sentences are short and choppy, much like the movie jumps around from scene to scene. Both the book and movie also give you just enough information to be very interested but you never quite understand what is going on until the conclusion. A tremendous amount of dialog is quoted from the book as well. Even though I was somewhat biased by having seen Fight Club prior to reading it, I think that Fight Club from book to movie is the best adaptation I have seen of this kind and trumps all the other book to movie adaptations our class has watched this year.

No comments: