Saturday, November 3, 2007

And then, Tyler was Gone

Before entering this class, I had never seen or read anything about Fight Club. I had heard from a number of people (especially guys) that the movie was pretty cool, but it had never sparked my interest. However, after reading this novel and watching the movie, I would have to agree with them.

After reading the novel, the only thing I wanted to do was see the movie. I thought the plot twist was really neat and I couldn’t wait to see how the movie portrayed Tyler Durden and the narrator as two separate characters that eventually combine into one. In that aspect, I thought the director of this movie did a very good job of putting the written words into a film. I actually watched the whole movie with my friends a few days after I read the novel and they were all totally shocked when the narrator started discovering the truth about his life.

However, when I saw the ending of the movie, I was very disappointed. I should have figured Hollywood would have to do that to the story. Don’t get me wrong, I do love happy endings, and if the novel would have ended in a “Happily ever after” sort of way, I would have been content with both the novel and the movie. But, since the ending was changed just to make moviegoers feel warm and fuzzy inside, I was pretty upset.

Overall, I think the narrator did an excellent job of converting Fight Club from a novel to a film. The actors in this movie were perfect for the characters and most of the dialogue was straight from the novel. I was also very glad to see the director add a little more humor to the film version, especially from Tyler Durden’s character. I think that definitely made the movie more enjoyable than what it could have been.

Brooklyn’s Ratings: Fight Club novel: 8.1 Fight Club movie: 7.6

No comments: