Saturday, November 3, 2007

Fight Club

As of now, I am very happy with the movie and how well the book translated from page to screen. The movie did really well with the dual identity thing, much better than expected. I was nervous about how they would portray the narrator and Tyler as two separate people, and then eventually combine them into one, but I thought the movie handles it beautifully, making the narrator flash back and see what was really happening when he “fell asleep.”

I think the casting is amazing too. The narrator is just like I imagined him, all introverted and awkward, yet charming in a weird way that makes you feel for him. And Brad Pitt as Tyler Durden is perfect too. He’s so confident and self-assured, so opposite of the narrator. The two men work well together too; they compliment each other and play off each other in a really easy, unaffected way. They never seem like they are trying too hard to make the audience “get it.” Having read the book before seeing the movie, it was fun finding all of the little hints that the filmmakers hid in the movie about Tyler’s real identity. I love the quick flashes of Tyler in the beginning because that echoes what Tyler does to the movies he shows at his job. All of those fun little quirks kept me entertained and on my toes.

I love Marla in this movie too. I like her character better in the movie than in the book. In the book, she just seemed whiny and needy. In the movie they let her be a little tougher, and I like her better that way. I feel so sorry for her though; she’s always confused and puzzled trying to deal with Tyler’s two personalities. She is a character that you pull for, you want her to do well and be happy.

All in all, the movie really impressed me. The graphics are amazing, and the casting is perfect. I think I actually like it better than the book, but the book was amazing too.

No comments: