Saturday, November 3, 2007

Fight Club

I had heard about the movie Fight Club from several male friends of mine. They would always rave about how awesome the movie was and I would always mean to go rent the movie. However, I never got around to doing it because some other movie would catch my eye and I would simply forget about Fight Club. That is why I was so delighted when I found out we were watching the movie and reading the book in class.

I found the book simply amazing. It was one of those reads that I did not want to put down. The twist was also unexpected and delightful. Overall the book was great and after reading it I could not wait to watch the movie but yet I was hesitant as to whether the movie would be just a great as the book. I was afraid that Hollywood would destroy the images I had already formed of the characters, settings and the meaning of the movie.

When we first began watching the movie I was disappointed and I don't even have a legitimate reason why I was disappointed. I believe I began watching the movie with the attitude that it would never live up to the standards of the book. However, after watching more of the movie I began to realize that it was not as bad I had thought it was going to be. In fact, I think the movie does the book justice. It is well written and follows the plot of the book fairly well. One of the things I loved was that Tyler's house was portrayed in the movie the same way I had imagined it while reading the book. This is an occurrence that rarely happens when books are brought to the big screen. Although I am still 100% convinced that the book is better, the movie does an excellent job of bringing the book to life.

No comments: