Saturday, December 1, 2007

A Semester's Worth of Knowledge

I can’t say that this class exceeded/met/fell short of my expectations, because I didn’t have any expectations. That first blogging assignment? It damn near killed me. I think I must have spent about an hour staring at the computer screen and thinking, “English class will, in all likelihood, massacre my GPA. I expect it to be a painful and drawn out process. Now, how can I word that so that it doesn’t sound so bad?”

Even though I love the English language - and all languages, for that matter (although I did go through a phase were I thought that French sounded strange) - I’ve never gotten much out of my English classes. I usually ended up disliking three fourths of them – from the books, to the assignments, to the so-called classroom discussions – and could easily write a ten page paper full of complaints about any of them. Well, anyway, even though I didn’t like some of the books/movies that we’ve had to read/watch in this class, I actually enjoyed most of the written assignments and all of the classroom discussions. The book/movie reviews in particular were fun; they gave me an excuse to watch a movie and browse the internet. The research paper was kind of fun as well, but, then again, I’m a geek and like to research things. It’s not enough, though, for a class to be fun. It’s more important for it to be educational in some way; that, after all, is what we’re paying for. With that in mind, here are a few of the things that I have learned over the course of this semester:

Halloween is slutty

Virginia Woolf was kind of crazy

Some guys in art/music schools wear skirts

The French are famous for their farces

Schizophrenia can be a pain

The cost of a diamond is high, but not in the way that we would expect

Women can't be priests in the Catholic Church because, according to the Vatican, looks do matter

Society is to blame for Clarissa, Laura, and Virginia’s misery; Ennis and Jack’s failed relationship; the “narrator’s” creating Fight Club; V’s terrorism; and all of the world’s problems in general

No comments: