Saturday, December 1, 2007

Reflections on English 108

Being an English major, I couldn’t wait to see what my first college English class would be like. It was everything I thought it would be and more. I loved the different novels that we read, and I really enjoyed watching the movies and getting a different perspective.

I also enjoyed how the whole class got involved with everyday discussions. Each person was able to add his own thoughts and ideas, and while some of our discussions did get slightly heated, that just made class all the more exciting.

In high school, I was so used to “Read this book. Now write a paper. Now read this next book. Now write another paper,” that I was so excited to get to get to college and experience what a real English class would be like. And English 108 was exactly what I was hoping it would be. Each assignment was different, and while all the novels had something in common, they each focused on a different main issue that made the class fun. Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I looked forward to getting up and getting to English. It has definitely been my favorite class of the semester.

Richard Severe has done an amazing job teaching this class. As an English major, I’ve looked up to him throughout the semester, hoping to learn more than just what we can all get out of reading. And I was extremely impressed with him. I hope to someday take another class taught by him before my time at Purdue is over.

No comments: