Saturday, December 1, 2007

The End

English has consistently remained one of my favorite classes, and this semester was no different. I enjoyed being in an advanced setting, because it made the discussions more in-depth and interesting. Instead of just skimming the surface of the books and movies, we explored the cores of each piece and connected the works together. Although “Everything is an argument” was the theme of my English class last year, I did not get bored or annoyed with overanalyzing; rather, the subjects continued to be interesting throughout the semester. I especially enjoyed the fact that the type of writing we focused on was useful to all majors. As a creative writing major, I can obviously see how a writing class would be beneficial to me, but it was nice to see students with science or math focuses understand how useful a writing ability is.

Professor Severe definitely met my expectations as far as teaching is concerned. He understood what he wanted to be discussed and how his classroom should be run, while still maintaining a close, open environment where students were not judged for their opinions. It was obvious that his goal was to create better students, not to be everyone’s best friend or to scare anyone away from ever taking another English class.

One of my favorite aspects about the class was the blog assignments. It gave me a chance to see how other classmates interpreted certain passages or themes without having to read through twenty 4-page essays while allowing me to convey my ideas in a brief and informal manner.

No comments: