Saturday, December 1, 2007

English 108 in Retrospect

At the beginning of this semester I was slightly disgruntled that I was taking an English course; especially English 108, an advanced class. For me, English has always meant a lot of writing and extensive papers and I was worried English 108 would detract from my studies on my mostly science based schedule. However, reflecting on what we have done this year, I am extremely happy that I chose to take this course. Although the workload for this class was extensive, it didn't hurt me in my other classes and I found the literature we read and the movies we watched to be a refreshing break from the rest of my schedule. English 108 is the first class I have taken where all of the material we read has been recently published. Also, out of all the English classes I have taken, the material in 108 has by far been the most interesting for me. I believe that the material we went over was the strongest aspect of the class. All of the books we read had controversial topics and led to great discussions in class. In addition, I always felt like the class environment was very open and non-judgemental and that my opinions on topics were always respected. Although I disliked these blogs, they were very beneficial to my writing skills. These blogs have improved my writing style and the speed in which I get my ideas out on paper. At the beginning of the semester I was spending twice as long to write these blogs as I it takes me now. If I had to say anything negative about this class, it would be that we had to read "The Hours". I absolutely hated that book. Other then that, I felt like English 108 was an excellent course for me and I would recommend it to other students. My time spent in 108 was enjoyable and I would like to thank Richard for everything he has taught us.

No comments: